As we live our “lives of distraction,” we often forget how much fun driving actually is. But as you get in your car, you’re confronted with a dashboard full of things that have nothing to do with the drive.
There’s Sirius XM with music, comedy, and sports. Then video and phones. You adjust, turn on, and get comfortable. Then…What about the drive?! Do you remember why you got into the car in the first place!
We admit that it isn’t easy to be an alert driver who is willing to concentrate on the task at hand. The result: according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 3,166 people were killed in the U.S. because of distracted driving.
We sometimes think that a four-on-the-floor standard transmission should be a choice with every car. Why? To get people more engaged. To have more fun actually feeling the drive, concentrating on the speed and direction of the vehicle.
So we looked around for some things you can do to concentrate more on what you’re doing behind the wheel to become a better, safer driver. Ways to take driving more seriously. Here’s what we found:
How to Make Good Driving Fun by Getting Into the Flow
- Turn off all of your gadgets and relax. Keep your mind just on what you’re doing…driving the car.
- Look far ahead and position yourself in your lane based on the long view. (We realize this is tough in the spring when the pot holes are exposed!)
- Use the two second rule. Choose an object ahead and when the vehicle in front of you passes it, count two seconds (Mississippi one, Mississippi two). If you reach the object before two, you’re following too close.
- Expect the unexpected from other drivers. Be aware of the other cars in front and behind you.
- Try not to drive when you’re tired. Studies show that drowsy driving results in 1,550 deaths a year and 71,000 injuries. Thing is, the transition from drowsy to unconscious sleep is a millisecond. People who fall asleep at the wheel never remember what happened. Check this out for an interesting discussion on drowsy driving.
- Forget drinking and driving. You already know, it’s not worth it.
- Drive with your headlights on all the time, day and night.
- Take a Defensive Driving Course. Not only will you save on your car insurance, but you’ll learn the latest tricks of the driving trade.
- Keep looking around. Don’t fixate on one line of vision. Glance at your rear view mirror and side mirror often.
- Keep your concentration level high. Stay involved in what you’re doing.
“No distraction driving” is more fun because you get into the flow. You can forget the troubles of the day. At least for a while as you drive safely from one place to another. Maybe it’s that feeling of freedom you had when you first got your license. When you drove wherever your car took you. That’s what we’re looking for in a safe driver.
Bonus: if your driving is good, our rates are better. Call us and we’ll shop your car insurance and save you money.
So have some fun the next time you’re behind the wheel. And get there safely!
Your SZW Team
SZW Insurance is your Utica area Trusted Choice™ independent insurance agent. Call us for a quote on insurance for your home, car, business, or life at 315.792.0000. Or request a quote here.