(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-24552541-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview'); (function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start': new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= 'https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-5HWCDSB');

What If I Have a Homeowners Insurance Claim?

May 31, 2016

homeowners insurance claimsOur customers have less to worry about when it comes to a homeowners insurance claim because we have a full time claims representative on staff. Her name is Cathy LeTray (315.792.1383). She is the person you’ll talk to when you call us after a car accident or loss to your home or business.

This makes it much easier for our customers to deal with what can be a traumatic experience.

I Have Damage to My Property—What Now?

Here’s what you do if you have a homeowners insurance claim. Call us or your insurance carrier and let us know:

  • When the incident occurred.
  • A general description of what happened.
  • The location of the damaged property and what was damaged.
  • The condition of the home and if it is still livable.
  • If temporary repairs are needed.
  • If the fire or police department was contacted, which department
    responded and any report number.
  • Your contact information and the best time to reach you

Do I need to protect my home from further damage?

  • Yes, once it is safe to do so, it is your responsibility to protect your property from further damage.
  • Arrange for reasonable temporary repairs such as boarding up broken
    windows, covering the roof, and removing debris.
  • Keep a list of any temporary repairs you make to document the damage,
    and make sure to save your receipts.
  • If possible, place damaged items in a secure area where they can be
    inspected. If you are unsure about an item, include it with the damaged property.
  • If you have fire or smoke damage, do not try to clean the damaged items. Sometimes cleaning things without the proper equipment can cause more damage.

So there you have it. If you experience a loss at your home, give us a call. Or call your insurance company directly. You’ll find phone numbers and links to every company we represent here.

Also, you may be wondering if you have enough coverage on your home or contents. Or you have special items you’re not sure about. As always, call us before you have a loss. That way we’ll get you the coverages you need so we can get you back to where you were before the loss.

And to all our customers, no matter what insurance you have with us…THANKS!

Until next time,
Your SZW Team

Scalzo, Zogby & Wittig, Inc. is your New Hartford area independent insurance agent. Call us for a quote on insurance for your home, car, business, or life at 315.792.0000. Or request a quote here.