How Will You Spend Your Auto Insurance Discounts?
December 16, 2014
The nice thing about saving money on your car insurance is that if things stay the same, you’ll save year after year. We have plenty of discounts available to you that you’ll be very happy to take advantage of.
We ran across this helpful info on the New York State Dept. of Financial Services website. Compare your car insurance policy with this list…
- A NYS Department of Motor Vehicles approved accident prevention course. You can reduce your auto insurance rate 10% with classroom instruction or YOU CAN NOW TAKE THE COURSE IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR OWN HOME ONLINE! This is new and available to all of our customers in the Oneida, Madison, and Herkimer County area. Find out more at the DMV website. So, look into the Accident Prevention Course as it has never been easier to take, plus you’ll learn better driving techniques and safety precautions that will make you a better driver.
- If your car has automatic seat belts or air bags you qualify for a discount in your No-Fault and Medical Payments coverages. This applies to all cars made after 1990, so be sure you’re getting your discount.
- A factory installed anti-lock breaking system also qualifies for a discount on your Liability, Collision, No-Fault and Medical Payments coverages.
- You can save on your Comprehensive Coverage (damage to your auto other than collision) if you have an anti-theft device installed in your car. There are lots of devices and anti-theft measures available so tell us what you have and we’ll apply the correct credit.
- Many of our auto insurance companies offer a “Careful Driver” discount if you have not had a major accident or moving traffic violation in a certain period of time.
- Ask us about a multi-policy discount where we place your auto insurance with the same company as your homeowners for a substantial discount.
- If you’re retired, you may be entitled to a discount since you are now driving fewer miles per year than you while you were working.
- Call us for the savings you could get by raising the deductibles on your Collision and Comprehensive coverages. For example, if you could save $100 by raising your deductible from $250 to $1,000, we think that’s a good deal. With the lower deductible, it’s like paying $100 to insure an item worth only $750. And that’s no bargain!
Besides these discounts and credits, call us if things have changed in your family that could reduce the premium on your car insurance. Maybe your college age child has left the house or you got a new job where you’re driving fewer miles to work. Also, if your son or daughter is at college over 100 miles away without a car, your rates can be reduced.
If you take a close look at your policy, you should be able to see all the discounts. However, our clients like to give us a call to go over the policy to be sure you’re not missing any of the credits and discounts available to you.
So, what will you do with your car insurance savings? Let us know in the comments below, but we’d recommend a night out at one of the Utica area’s fine restaurants to celebrate.
Until next time,
Your SZW Team.
Scalzo, Zogby & Wittig, Inc. is your New Hartford and Utica/Rome area independent insurance agent. Call us for a quote on insurance for your home, car, business, or life at 315.792.0000.